Thursday, December 29, 2011

Fuente Opus X Forbidden Heart of the Bull 1957 (100th Anniversary Blend)

What luck?!  I walked into my favorite local B&M, and found that a shipment of Opus X Forbidden had just arrived in a few sizes (limit 1 per customer, of course).  I haven't really done any homework on this one, so I'll just share what I know (or believe to be true). 

First off, the cigar is a nice brown shade.  The double band is pretty cool, with the clock tower face showing XIII.  I could be mistaken, but it appears to have a quadruple cap.  This stick smells leathery, and with a cold draw I get lots of black pepper.  After clipping, there was a 1/4" stem sticking out - no issues though after pulling it out. 

1/3: Heavy pepper up front.  Did I say heavy pepper?  An inch in after lighting, and the pepper has toned itself down a tad, however the cigar is definitely full-strength.  It is slightly harsh on the roof of my mouth, but tolerable with my bottle of water.

2/3: Still strong and crisp.  I'm surprised by the consistency.  Picking up some spice and raisins at the midway point.  The HotB (Heart of the Bull) has thusfar required several touch-ups to correct the burn line, and at around the middle, required a partial re-light to keep it going. 

3/3: This cigar is great for cigar enthusiasts who enjoy pure strength.  For me, not so much.  There's slight sweetness in the final third, and the nicotine is more noticeable now. 

Glad I got a chance to smoke one, but I doubt I'll be joining the masses in stockpiling these, although admittedly, they'll probably do better after some time in storage. 

Total burn time, ~1 hour, 20 minutes.



Size: 5-1/4 x 50
Wrapper: Dominican Republic
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Dominican Republic

(*Not a lot of information is available about these, so if I have misstated anything,  please let me know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Online MarketingAdd blog to our blog directory.