Friday, June 8, 2012

Diamond Crown Maximus #5

I had one of these a few years ago, and found it to be full of pepper and spice.  I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I might, but after having met and interviewed Eric Newman of J.C. Newman Cigar Co., my interest was renewed.  As many of us know, the Diamond Crown line is produced by Tabacalera A. Fuente.

Palates change and sometimes conditions in which cigars are kept may result in different experiences with the same line (ie. one stick was well cared for while another might have been over/under humidified).  That said, my experience was different this time around. 

The cigar was very firm.  I've had it in the humidor for six months.  I chose to give it a V cut, and I used a flower jet flame to toast it. 

1/3: Initially, I got a very odd flavor on the light, but it quickly dissipated.  I found the 1st third to be quite smooth and velvety.  The aroma was also very pleasant.  In stark contrast to the dark wrapper, the ash looked very white.  The bottom half of the wrapper unraveled a little bit, but the cigar band seemed to keep it from getting too bad.  Flavors of graham cracker and leather.

2/3: The predominant flavor in the 2nd third was what I would describe as "burnt marshmallow." 

3/3: In the final third, I noticed a shift towards cocoa flavor. 

This cigar has some nice variety.  Good smoke, but pricey!


Size: 5 x 50
Wrapper: El Bajo Ecudarian Ligero Oscuro Sun Grown
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Dominican Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Online MarketingAdd blog to our blog directory.