Saturday, September 15, 2012

Rocky Patel Vintage 2003 Cameroon (robusto)

I've heard that this is one of Rocky's better cigars.  It seems that Rocky has spread himself (and the rest of his family) a bit thin over the last several years.  It seems that everywhere you look there's another X Patel brand of cigars.  Lately, the only RPs I've been picking up when I see them is the Sumatra label.  When I was still mixing milds into my rotation, I enjoyed the Edge Lites, but lately I haven't had much of a taste for the milder side of the spectrum.

At first inspection, the Vintage 2003 Cameroon has an oily sheen on the wrapper.  The pre-light sniff at the foot shows a hint of barnyard.  I opted for my Xikar punch/torch to get things started.

1/3: The first few puffs were unique and pleasant.  There's a good draw, and I notice a crisp finish.  I have a long flap on one side of the cap that keeps peeling back.  I tore it off, and it's not presenting any issues now.  Predominant notes of leather here in the 1st third.

2/3: The leather continues on into the 2nd third.  Medium-bodied describes this one so far.

3/3: This RP was consistent to the finish.  I "nubbed" it, and didn't notice too much in terms of flavor shifts.  If you're looking for a stick with consistent leather, this one's got that.


Size: 5-1/2 x 50
Wrapper: Cameroon
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler:  Dominican Republic, Nicaragua

No comments:

Post a Comment

Online MarketingAdd blog to our blog directory.