Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur Maduro (robusto)













 
Paired this one with water, and toasted the foot
before lighting.  Black pepper taste quickly
recognizable.  Although the wrapper was a nice coffee
color, smooth, and oily, there was a large, protruding
vein that traveled underneath the label.  I could feel
this vein when I puffed, and so had to turn the cigar
so that it was sideways. 

Approaching the second third, I had to touch up a jagged burn.
The taste was spicy, with a hint of dark coffee.  At one point, I gently ashed the cigar, and the cherry fell completely out. 

I began to wish I had chosen something besides water, as the bitterness and dryness became rather unpleasant.  A small square of 72% dark chocolate (I know, who pairs chocolate with cigars?) helped to soften the taste, and alleviate the bitterness.


I did not make it very far into the final third.  Probably won't be smoking this cigar again, however I have a lighter shaded wrapper (in the Excalibur series) that I will be giving a shot.   2.5/5.0 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Online MarketingAdd blog to our blog directory.