Saturday, July 5, 2014

La Antiguedad by My Father (robusto)

I can describe this cigar very simply.  While similar in build and appearance to its older brother, the Flor de Las Antillas (both made by My Father Cigar Co.), it is stronger and bolder.  That's precisely what I wanted when I smoked the Flor de Las Antillas, which was the #1 cigar in Cigar Aficionado in 2013.  The FdLA was consistent, but a little boring to me, and it lacked some strength.  La Antiguedad provides the solid construction that the FdLA has, but it packs more power.

The cigar is oval box-pressed.  Like the FdLA, it has a beautiful appearance, and an artistic, detailed band.  I paired this stick with a nice cup of black coffee.  I cut with a punch, and lit up with a torch.

1/3: Lots of dry smoke right from the get-go.  The draw is very good.  Unlike many in the My Father series, there is absolutely no sign of a pepper burst to get things started.  As I said before, there are similarities to the FdLA, but it's fuller-bodied.  My palate picks up notes of leather, cocoa, and coffee.

2/3: Still plenty of smoke to be had in the 2nd third.  The coffee flavor is dominant here.

3/3: More flavors of black coffee, and the introduction of milk chocolate make their way to my taste buds.  With just under 2 inches left to go, the cigar went out, which was disappointing.

This cigar is worth a try.  I know I'd like to try another sometime.  I've recommended it to friends who liked the FdLA, and nobody's complained.  

Size: 5-1/4 x 52
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
Binder: Nicaragua (Criollo & Corojo)
Filler: Nicaragua
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Online MarketingAdd blog to our blog directory.