Friday, June 27, 2014

Camacho Diploma (robusto)

This is the older label version of the Camacho Diploma.  I've had it in my humidor for several years.  I've been smoking cigars for nearly two decades, but it wasn't until about 5 or 6 years ago that I started getting more serious about them to the point where I wanted to know the details and keep track of what I tasted.  In fact, this blog was really created for that sole purpose.  It seemed more fun than just creating another spreadsheet.  Anyways, the Camacho Diploma was a cigar that a local tobacconist had recommended to me right around that time 5 or 6 years ago.  I liked the look of the cigar itself as well as the classy looking band (which recently changed).  Unfortunately for me, the cigar really kicked my behind that evening.  So much so, that even as my tastes in cigars changed (and shifted more to fuller-bodied cigars), I kept finding other cigars to review, while the Diploma sat in my humidor, repeatedly being passed over.  Not all cigars age well, so this summer seemed like as good a time as any to give her another try.  On the band, it says: Quinto Corte.  That's Spanish for 5th Priming.  The blender for the Diploma was Christian Eiroa. 

Pre-light scent of molasses from the wrapper, and especially from the foot.  Punch cut/torch to light.

1/3: Bold pepper is present at the start.  The draw had too much resistance, so I rolled the cigar in my hands gently to get it to loosen up, and that helped somewhat.  At a half inch in, there's some real "bite," and an uneven burn makes me wonder where this thing is going to go.  I decided to get something to drink, and my selection was Ginger Ale.  It's certainly a full-bodied, full strength stick.  The smoke just sort of coats the palate.  Towards the end of the first third, I pick up some wood flavor.

2/3: The draw seems to be normal at this point.  The cigar is also burning quicker.  I read somewhere that these cigars are packed a little more loosely than what's typical. There's a slightly unique tobacco taste present.

3/3: It's surprisingly mellow as I transition into the final third of the Diploma.  There's still some boldness to it, but it is fortunately not at all bitter or charry.  The burn line isn't perfect, but it has improved.  As I've noticed in many Camacho cigars, if you're not careful, the nicotine will come up from behind and smack you.   
Size: 5 x 50
Wrapper: Honduras (Authentic Corojo)
Binder: Honduras (Authentic Corojo)
Filler:  Honduras (Authentic Corojo)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Online MarketingAdd blog to our blog directory.