Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Diamond Crown #4 Maduro (robusto)

When I interviewed Eric Newman back in December at the Diamond Crown Red Carpet event, I picked up a handful of different cigars from J.C. Newman, including a few of these #4 Maduros.  I smoked one that night, and set another in the humidor to enjoy later....and that time is now.

It's a hot day out, so I've chosen to pair this smoke with a Lite beer.  This cigar is very attractive looking.  The dark Broadleaf wrapper gives it a chocolate bar appearance.  It is oily and feels like it has some age to it.  I opted for a straight clip, and as I toast the foot, the aroma is really quite enticing. 

1/3: There's a hint of sweetness on the finish that is instantly noticeable.  I don't pick up any pepper here, but instead find coffee, almond, and cinnamon.  The ash held on nicely, although I knocked it off at 1" to avoid ashing on my lap. 

2/3: The cigar has shifted from medium body/strength to medium-full.  Notes of cocoa have appeared.

3/3: As I start the final stretch, I notice that the draw has gotten a little stiffer, and the mouth-feel has gotten a tad on the dry side.  It's gotten dark, and I have things to do, so I put this down with about an 1-1/4" left.

I do like the Diamond Crowns, and I will buy more of these in the future.  They are flavorful, yet not powerhouses.  Solid choice, and a good box buy.


Size: 5-1/2 x 54
Wrapper: USA (Connecticut) Broadleaf Maduro
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Dominican Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Online MarketingAdd blog to our blog directory.